Monday

Long Weekend


The height of spring is upon us.  The bright greens of fresh growth is vibrant, the bugs, new plants and the hot sun is here, and we are happy for that.   This weekend was a perfect weekend to sit back and appreciate the fruits of mother nature's  efforts.   It was a Jay and Annie weekend, as the kids were with their dad.  On Saturday we left the beauty of our lake (above), to visit Michele from Beyond Gluten Free and her family.  They recently built a yurt up on their land near Rupert.  Here is Michele in her "I am fending off the bugs outfit."


On our way to their land, we passed Juniper Farms, an organic farm.  We decided to be spontaneous and stop.  We left with the fixings for a small  organic garden of beets, lettuce, onions, cabbage, kale, spinach and swiss chard.  Neither of us have planted a garden before, so we are keeping our fingers crossed that it goes well.


I am in week 5 of Beyond Gluten Free's program and cannot express how inspired I am in the kitchen.  It's as though I have learnt a whole new way of cooking.  My slow cooker is always simmering with broth or a stew.  I have a stash of gluten free cookies in the freezer for those days where I just need something sweet.  My meals consist of 80% veggies and 20% meat, which means that I am eating way more veggies than before.  I am learning to love sauerkraut and basically having fun in the kitchen.  Do I miss gluten? yes, I do.  I miss it when I am at a party and I see a platter of breaded shrimp, but I feel empowered in being able to say no thank you and reach for the veggie tray.


No comments: